|Three of the COPP sisters|
As I acquired seven photos from the same family at the same Antique Show (May 2022 Athens Schoolhouse Antiques Show, Athens Kentucky) I'd like to present them here in a single post.
Three sisters seen above are offspring of Belton Allyn COPP (1796-1858) of New London County, Connecticut. Belton Allyn COPP and his wife Betsey Ann Barber (1809-1894) had nine children:
- Ellen Barber COPP (1834-1916) was the second wife of Christopher AVERY.
- Sarah Maria COPP (1836-1915) married Frank LARRABEE.
- Daniel Noyes COPP (1838-1921)
- John Joseph COPP (1840-1914) married Ellen CHESTER.
- Catherine Burdick COPP (1842-1932)
- George Denison COPP (1845-1853) died at age 7.
- Julia Stanton COPP (1848-1939)
- William COPP (1850-1935)
- Belton Allyn COPP Jr. (1854-1930) married Betsey W. AVERY (a daughter of Christopher AVERY and his first wife Sarah Smith.)
|Sarah COPP Julia COPP|
|Ethel Grace COPP|
This brings me back to Christopher Lester AVERY, the husband of Ellen COPP. His first wife Sarah Smith (1830-1869) provided him with four children:
- Latham Avery
- Mary Louise AVERY (1855-1937) married a coffee merchant Pierre Louis SCHELLENS (1849-1935)
- Ira Smith Avery
- Betsey Wood Avery (1860-1930) married Belton Allyn COPP Jr.
|Pierre SCHELLENS and wife Mary "Louise" COPP|
Second wife Ellen COPP-AVERY produced a son and a daughter:
- Christopher Lester Avery Jr.
- Mary Jane Avery
In order to help me see the relationship between these people, I sketched up a rough family tree showing where each of these found photographs (in yellow) fit into the overall tree.
|(Click for larger image)|