UPDATE - Jessie Ankeny has been sent home to her granddaughter!
IDENTIFICATION ON PHOTO: "Jessica Ankeny, Corning Iowa, Simpson College Graduate"
PHOTO TAKEN: Albert E. Peasley photographer, circa 1901
ACQUIRED: Among a group of photographs given to me by Carol Kleppinger (so I can find homes for them) - these are friends, schoolmates and acquaintances of her grandmother Florence Ream.
This is Jessie Valentine Ankeny, born in Quincy Iowa 27-Dec-1883 to parents Joseph Newcomb Ankeny (1861-1949) and Elma Henrietta Rogers (1864-1953).
Her father was a son of Henry Giese Ankeny and Horatia Fostina Newcomb. Her mother was a daughter of Robert Wing Rogers and Martha Ann Fleharty.
1900 Census > Iowa > Adams > Prescott
- ANKENY, Joseph, head, 38, Oct 1861, born in IA of PA & ME parents, farmer
- ANKENY, Elma, wife, 36, Apr 1864, mother of 7 all living, born in IL of IL parents
- ANKENY, Jessie, 16, Dec 1883, born in IA
- ANKENY, Blanche, 14, Aug 1885, Iowa
- ANKENY, Ralph, 12, Oct 1887, Iowa
- ANKENY, Helen, 8, Oct 1891, Iowa
- ANKENY, Homer, 6, Aug 1893, Iowa
- ANKENY, Louisa, 4, Feb 1895, Iowa
- ANKENY, Florence, 1, Sep 1898, Iowa
Jessie attended the High School (presumably with Florence Ream) in Corning Iowa, and later attended Simpson College (a Methodist liberal arts college) in Indianola Iowa.
Upon graduation, Jessie became a missionary in China. She met and married Henry Veere Lacy in Foochow (also spelled Fuzhou) where he worked as a hospital administrator.
Husband Henry was a son of William Henry Lacy and Emma Nind.
Their four children were all born in China:
- 1915 - Mary Nind Lacy-Buckley
- 1917 - Henry Ankeny Lacy
- 1921 - Louise Alice Lacy
- 1924 - Dorothy L. Lacy
Jessie left China around 1939 and lived thereafter in California. She died 11-Apr-1979. She and her husband Henry are buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Covina California.