Search Blog for Surname

Thursday, November 9, 2017

BEVERSDORF, Anna and August

BEVERSDORF, Anna & August
circa 1892?
Armada, Michigan

Acquired: July 2015 at Brandywine River Antiques Market, Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania.

This portrait of Anna and August Beversdorf was taken probably between 1891 and 1893, based on the fashions and general appearance of the photograph. Both are wearing a corsage, and it is possible this photo was taken on the occassion of their wedding.

(I do not possess this photo)
The photo at left was found elsewhere online (I do not have that photo) and shows an utterly charming image of the couple's young sons Frank and Walter, circa 1898. I include it here for informational purposes.

The family appears on the 1920 Federal Census, living on New Haven Road in the township of Lenox, which is about 9 miles from Armada, MI.

1920 Federal Census, Michigan > Macomb > Lenox > New Haven Road
BEVERSDORF, August F, 52, born in Brandenburg Germany, imm. 1870, farmer
BEVERSDORF, Anna L, 53, born in Michigan, parents both from Brandenburg Germany
BEVERSDORF, Frank, 26, son, born in Michigan, works on father's farm
BEVERSDORF, Walter Ezra, 25, son, born in Michigan, works on father's farm

Anna died 13 July 1951, age 84. Her death record shows her maiden name as Anna Louise Lempke, born 2 Dec 1866 in Capac, Michigan. At that time she was a widow (August died 1949).

(I do not possess this photo)
Her parents were Frederick Godfrey Lempke and Louise Weyer-Lempke.

While researching Anna, I sometimes found her surname spelled Lemke, and sometimes Lempke.  The matter was solved when I found this image online of a younger version of Anna (photo at right). It is inscribed "Anna Lempke, my sister". So I will accept that Lempke is the correct spelling.


Anna and August are buried in the Centennial Cemetery at New Haven Michigan.

I know that August had a brother William, who was married to Anna's sister Matilda. August's father was William Beversdorf (1831-1905). August was the informant for William's Death Certificate. William is listed as "widower" at the time of his death. August's mother's name was Amelia Bubel. She died in 1903.


12 comments:

  1. This is my family! I never saw their photos before. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louanne, I see that you are Frank's granddaughter. Interested in your ancestry. Would love to hear the connection.

      Delete
  2. I am excited for you! How are they related to you, Louanne?

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. All the photos are showing for me. Perhaps you are experiencing a temporary internet problem? Please return and try again. If they still do not appear, I can always send the jpg images to you via email. I'd hate for you to miss seeing the photos.

      Delete
    2. Ketton - I have added the photos to FindaGrave. You can see them at this link: https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1979333/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=Beversdorf

      Delete
  4. I am a granddaughter of Walter. Interestingly I have seen all of these pictures. I wonder if these are duplicates? Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted these photos also to Findagrave last year. You may have seen them there. https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1979333/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=Beversdorf

      Delete
    2. We actually have these photos. Both the one of August and Anna and the one of Frank and Walter. That is why I am wondering if these are possibly duplicates that were kept by the photographer or something. I have shared your posting with other family members :D

      Delete
    3. Jodi -
      Thanks for spreading the word. Yes, sounds like duplicates kept either by the photographer or some other relative.

      Delete