Search Blog for Surname

Sunday, August 14, 2016

BRO, Beiri (?)

This photo was found at the "127 Yard Sale" last weekend, along with 13 others which all were taken in Winona Minnesota, and most appear to be from the same graduating class at the Winona State Normal School.

This one has been the trickiest to read, so I will start with this one.

Since most of the photos in this group actually say "Class of '87" on the mat, and a couple say "Class of '01", I am going to assume this photo was taken between those years, although this one does not bear the date clue like the others.

The photo was taken at a studio in Winona.

The back bears a hand-written note, which as near as I can make out, says; "Beiri Bro, 121 S. Main Street, Rockford, Illinois".

I have scanned the back also and include that below, so if you can read something different than I have done, please let me know.

I was able to check the City Directory for Rockford Illinois for various years ranging from 1904 through 1920 and discovered that a hardware store was at that location. Maybe he worked there, or lived in an apartment above it?  (Not sure that is a helpful clue.)


The surname BRO is a legitimate name of Scandinavian origin. On FindaGrave.com there is a "Neils Christian Bro" who bears a very strong resemblance to the Bro found above.

Here is the photo of Neils Christian Bro found at Find-a-Grave. I do not possess the photo below, it is only shown here for comparison.

Neils Christian Bro
(from Find-a-Grave)






1 comment:

  1. I believe the name on the photo is Burr Bro's. 121 S. Main St. It was a grocery store here in Rockford. He moved here from Winona, MN. I have 3 attachments with info that would be of interest to you. Do you have an email I can send them to? Chuck, Rockford, IL.

    ReplyDelete