Search Blog for Surname

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

RICHTMYER, Phillip


(I am not in possession of this photo. I saw it at an antique shop in Ballston Spa, NY, but because it is large and framed, I felt I would not be able to get it home with me to Kentucky. So I snapped a photo with my cell phone. If this is your relative, I can tell you where to find the shop.)

The back of the picture reads as follows:

(click for larger image)
PHILLIP REICHTMYER
Father of
Alida Reichtmyer, born Feb 23 1854, married Jay Zeh
Peter Reichtmyer
John Reichtmyer
Wizz Reichtmyer
Irven Reichtmyer
Mary Reichtmyer, died when little


Phillip was murdered in McGowersville, Albany. His murderer called him out at night to help a brother mason.


Every example of the name that I found on Findagrave and Ancestry records the surname as RICHTMYER, and not REICHTMYER as written of the back of the photograph.

This article from New York Herald, June 20, 1895.  This clarifies the name of the town as McKnownsville (not McGowersville as I had read it.)


This newspaper article from the Burlington Free Press, 6 Sept 1895 gives more information.

(Click for larger image)

1875 New York State Census, Middleburgh, Schoharie County, NY
RICHTMYER, Philip, 51
RICHTMYER, Elizabeth, 50
RICHTMYER, Alida, 21
RICHTMYER, Irvin, 19
RICHTMYER, William, 16  <--- this must be the son called "Wizz"
RICHTMYER, Peter, 14
RICHTMYER, John, 11



No comments:

Post a Comment